Cajun Shrimp Mac & Cheese
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (4.5 /5)
- 2 ratings
- 16 oz. orecchiette dry pasta (or elbow macaroni)
- 1 pound medium or large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning blend
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1 & 1/2 cups Mexican style blend shredded cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 red bell pepper (or 2 mini sweet red peppers), chopped
- Bring 4 quarts of water (16 cups) to a rolling boil. Salt to taste, if desired. Add pasta, and return to a boil. Let cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente (firm to the bite), about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta.
- Season shrimp with 1 teaspoon of the Cajun seasoning.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add shrimp and saute until pink (cooked) about 4 minutes. Remove shrimp from pan, and chop into bite-size pieces.
- Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the same pan used to cook the shrimp. Over medium heat, add flour and stir to make a paste. Slowly stir in milk. Let simmer until it starts to thicken. Add cheese and stir to melt.
- Stir in remaining Cajun seasoning, green onions, and chopped shrimp. Add pasta and mix gently. Remove from heat. Add sea salt to taste.
- Sprinkle with chopped red pepper and serve.