Mike’s Sausage and Peppers Rustica
Published on March 8, 2016 | In Away From Home Cooking Contest, Cooking Contest | By Extended Stay America |0 Comments
- Cook Time
- (4 /5)
- 1 rating
- Trio of bell peppers (any combination Red, yellow, green, or orange) julienned
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 can of diced tomato with juice (14.5 ounces)
- 1 can of tomato sauce (14.5 ounces)
- 1 pound of Italian Sausage removed from casing
- 1/2 pound of Penne Pasta
- 1 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (reserve half for garnish)
- 1 cup of flat leaf parsley chopped (reserve half for garnish)
- 3 tablespoon of Olive Oil
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 6 minutes.
- Remove sausage with slotted spoon reserving the pan drippings. Meanwhile fill a large pot with water for pasta, and add a heavy pinch of salt. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Next sauté onions, and peppers in same skillet until onions are translucent about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic, and continue sautéing until garlic becomes fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in can of diced tomatoes along with the juice. Add the can of tomato sauce, 1/2 cup of the parmesan cheese, and 1/2 of the chopped parsley. Stir to make sure all ingredients are combined. Reduce the heat, and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the Italian sausage back to the pan, and continue to simmer about 15 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken.
- While waiting drain the pasta, which should be al dente, and reserve about a cup of the pasta water for the sauce. At this point you can add the pasta to the pan with the tomato sauce.
- Stir to make sure pasta gets evenly coated.
- If needed add a couple tablespoons of pasta water at a time to help thicken the sauce. Remove from heat. Use remaining parmesan and parsley to garnish.
For quicker prep, buy bagged broccoli florets. For more cheese...
A chicken quesadilla is a great way to use up...