Sunny’s Quick Chicken and Andouille Gumbo
- Cook Time
- 4 cups
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 links (16 ounces) andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons, plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup (2 stalks) chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- 2 cups canned chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To serve
- 2 cups microwave rice, cooked according to instructions
- Hot sauce, for garnish
- Sear the meat. In a large pot on medium high heat add the oil, chicken, and sausage. Allow chicken and sausage to form a golden crust before flipping the chicken and stirring the sausage. Cook until all sides are golden and remove chicken and sausage with a slotted spoon to a plate, leaving the fat in the pot.
- Make the roux. In the same pot on medium heat add the butter and flour and stir continuously with a wooden spoon until the two combine and result in a deep golden brown roux, about 12 minutes.
- Finish the gumbo. Add the chicken and sausage back in along with the onion, celery, green bell pepper, and Creole seasoning. Cook while stirring until the vegetables are tender and everything is coated with the roux. Add the tomatoes, stock and reduce the pot to a simmer. Cover and simmer 25 minutes, stirring a few times so the bottom doesn’t stick. Taste and season the gumbo with salt if needed. Serve gumbo warm over rice with a shake of hot sauce.
- Servings : Serves 2
- Course : Soup
For quicker prep, buy bagged broccoli florets. For more cheese...
A chicken quesadilla is a great way to use up...